4 large egg whites
1 pinch of salt
250 grams caster sugar
2 tsps cornflour
1 scant tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp white wine vinegar
100g roasted macadamias
1 1/2 tbl maple syrup
½ fresh pineapple diced
¼ brown sugar
1. To make the pavlovas, pre-heat oven to 150g degrees celcius - fan forced and line a large baking tray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add egg whites and salt. Beat until the egg whites have firm peaks but are not stiff. Add in gently the sugar spoonful by spoonful. Keep beating until they are satiny and gleaming.
3. Gently fold in vinegar and corn flour until well combined.
4. Spoon the meringue onto the baking paper into the delineated circles. Spread and smooth to fill. You want to make the meringue slightly higher at the rims, or just use the back of the spoon to make an indentation in the centre to hold the cream and fruit later.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 150 degrees celcius. Turn the oven off and leave for a further 30 minutes, then take them out to fully cool.
6. To candy the macadamia, heat a small sauce pan to medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil, macadamias, maple syrup and salt. Cook for roughly 2 minutes keeping an eye on them. Spoon them on to some baking paper to cool down.
7. To caramelise the pineapple, heat a large fry pan to medium– high heat. Once hot add half the brown sugar, butter and pineapple. Cook until golden and caramelized. Move into a separate bowl and do the same for the second half of the ingredients. Make sure the pineapple is cooled down before placing on the pavlovas.
8. To serve, layer pavlovas with a dollop of cream. Then, add pineapple and finish with the macadamias. Serve immediately.